In less than 2 minutes, get your
Personal Score for every job
Mohonk Mountain House is a Victorian castle resort nestled in the scenic Hudson Valley only 90 miles north of New York City. This National Historic Landmark has been owned and operated by the Smiley family since its founding in 1869 and with its spectacular natural setting of timeless cliffs and a pristine mountain lake on 1,200 woodland acres, Mohonk Mountain House has welcomed guests for over 152 years. With 265-rooms, an award-winning Spa, 85 miles of hiking trails, and an abundance of seasonal resort recreation and guided activities (hiking, tennis, golf, horseback riding, carriage rides, boating, lake swimming, mountain biking, rock climbing, snowshoeing, ice-skating, cross-country skiing, and more) this timeless resort welcomes guests throughout the year. With awards from Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, among others, and media hits that range from The New York Times to Forbes and many more, Mohonk Mountain House offers old world charm with modern amenities and overnight rates that include meals and resort activities.
BASIC JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
The primary role of the Spa Director is to identify and maximize revenue opportunities for the Spa at Mohonk Mountain House. This includes management and oversight of the daily operations of the Spa, Fitness and Spa Overhead departments; creating treatment offerings that include current spa, fitness and wellness trends; fostering and overseeing exciting lifestyle retail offering; helping to create and meet the financial goals and budget of the spa; envisioning and presenting projects for spa which include positive return on investment; planning and implementing marketing and sales strategic plans; providing and training luxury standards to the staff; overseeing vigilant facility management and maintenance of the 30,000 square foot Spa Wing; supervising the staff and creating a positive team environment, within parameters of Mohonk service culture and ensuring the highest levels of guest satisfaction are attained. Direct reports to the Spa Director include: Spa Manager, Spa Sales Coordinator, Retail & Reception Supervisor and Fitness & Pool Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Foster and model a professional spa and wellness culture.
· Facilitate communication among all Mohonk and spa team members.
· Work with team to develop and implement effective spa pricing and selling strategies.
· Chair a weekly spa leadership meeting to assemble and report on performance to budget and forecast, pick-up by market segment (day vs overnight), and pace by segment for proper rate and availability control. As chair, provide summary of results vs. decisions from the previous week, and facilitate decision making on future issues relating to Spa to General Manager.
· Attend and participate actively in property Revenue Strategies team with forward and future visioning.
· Oversee the proper maintenance, use, and training of spa sales and management software. Implement and oversee online sales of spa.
· Analyze trends in spa, wellness, fitness and rates, including year to year pace, cancellation activity, and market performance.
· Recommend and input group rates and promotions; manage special group events as needed to support overall revenue goals; continuously analyze group performance in spa.
· Prepare weekly pace report for spa, review changes and recommend response.
· Prepare and review forecasts and budget documents as required to inform future staffing, business by segment, and reforecasts for 90-120 days. Compare performance to budget, forecasts and reconcile with marketing planning and staffing.
· Review and control treatment rooms to maximize use and oversee management of out of order rooms and equipment appropriately. Guide Spa Manager and sales staff on schedule consolidation management.
· Maintain accurate records in ResortSuite with an eye toward professional guest facing presentation and efficient operational management.
· Utilize available tools to assist with optimizing the spa yield (e.g., STR report, ISPA surveys and reports, industry publication trend reports).
· Anticipate and communicate need periods of Spa for the development of promotions to fill these periods.
· Communicate effectively to related departments (Recreation, Conference Planning, Dining, Room Reservations, Weddings, Front Office, Marketing, Sales, etc.) standards for workflow processes to optimize revenue performance and account tracking.
· Monitor marketing channels and evaluate usefulness to ensure that all major distribution channels – Website, Internet, and Spa booking engines – effectively support the Spa and maintain rate parity. Provide parameters for updates to distribution channels as needed with rate and inventory restrictions. Monitor costs per channel where relevant.
· Explore and provide variations in the market mix and offerings which would stimulate additional revenue without increasing costs. Include potential Spa membership analysis on an annual basis.
· Monitor and analyze the competition through SWOT analysis, internet, news reports, etc., in order to identify selling strategies and emerging trends on an annual basis (at a minimum).
· Monitor and recommend internal incentive programs for Spa team to property General Manager with a focus on effectiveness and innovation.
· Meet weekly with various teams of Spa for management, sales, professional staff development, and building support. Foster your direct reports to do the same.
· Provide tracking for promotions and reports on results – weekly, by period and annually.
· Coordinate the yield management process and daily update information in the ResortSuite Spa module and sales revenue management system as needed.
· Propose effective retail pricing with cost of sales and presentation strategies. Attend retail events, shows and seminars as available to support buyers and to reinforce and deploy innovative, fresh offering. Active retail oversight required.
· Provide information for use in developing annual budgets as needed. Prepare three departmental budgets for Spa, with inclusion of key management and supervisor input. Revise as needed in a timely manner during budget process.
· Provide weekly briefing to General Manager on results and issues (pace, market mix, guest service issues, cancellations, staffing, inventory and relevant operational issues)
· Provide information for the annual Marketing Plan.
· Analyze impact of renovation projects and performs ROI to evaluate and propose projects. Tracks actual costs and compares against projections.
· Participate in Manager on Duty rotation and attend management meetings.
· Prepare and/or report on cost analysis for theme programs and special events.
· Apply revenue management practices to ancillary revenue departments (F&B, Spa, and Retail).
· Monitor and report on daily allowances
· Monitor reasoning and cost of comp room use for Spa related training.
· Demonstrate a strong proficiency with Windows-based operating systems and use software utilizing Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
· Demonstrate strong analytical skills.
· Strong business acumen and the ability to understand the business needs of the company and incorporate into practice
· Build positive relationships, support team members, share resources and knowledge and collaborate with others to achieve goals
· Handle multiple tasks and bring assignments to completion in a timely manner.
· Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
· Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
· Demonstrate excellent written and spoken communication skills.
· Prepare presentations and present to audiences of up to 25 persons in a clear and collective manner.
· Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time.
· Lift up to 20 pounds from ground level to waist and carry a distance of up to 50 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 3 miles per day.
· See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
· Maintain a flexible work schedule including nights, holidays and weekends. Expectation is presence when revenue is most active except when approved for time off.
· Work extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard.
· Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
· Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
· Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
· Four-year college degree or equivalent, qualified experience.
· Five years adaptable experience within Spa, travel industry reservations systems and hotel property management systems, with at least two of years in equivalent level management experience. Project specific experience in Spa industry is a plus.
· Strong knowledge of property management, reservations, customer management, and retail/revenue management systems. Online spa, retail and e-commerce experience is a plus.
· Proven ability to lead, direct, delegate and motivate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
|Address||1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY, 12561 View map|