I. Job Summary
The Sous Chef plans, organizes, controls and directs the work of employees in the kitchen responsible for food preparation while ensuring superior quality and consistency. This position also controls costs and manages inventory to maximize efficiency and profits.
II. Job Responsibilities
* Ensure guest delight with quality and presentation of all menu items.
* Assess guest satisfaction by visiting with dining patrons daily and reviewing guest comments.
* Train wait staff to answer all questions pertaining to existing menus.
* Attend team briefings.
* Conduct team briefings as needed.
* Deputise in the Executive Chef's absence.
* Ensure all chefs des parties are familiar with the day's requirements.
* Ensure that the necessary stocks are on hand at the right quality and quantity.
* Ensure that fair discipline is maintained.
* Ensure that all staff is treated fairly and with respect.
* Ensure that timetables, leave rosters and attendance registers are up-to-date.
* Ensure that all statutory, as well as Cheeca and State Board of Health regulations, are being strictly adhered to.
* Ensure that all maintenance problems are timeously reported and followed up.
* Ensure that all communications between restaurant and kitchen run smoothly.
* Ensure that each cook receives the correct orders for the appropriate tables.
* Ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity, presentation and correct temperature.
* Ensure that the dining room/restaurant personnel are "standing by" when delicate dishes are served.
* Ensure that regular on-the-job training is carried out so that subordinate staff performs their duties correctly.
* Ensure that commodities, i.e. fresh food, dry goods and cleaning materials, are correctly stored.
* Control labor and operating expenses through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions and inventory control.
* Maintain control systems that will assure quality and portion consistency; monitor food shipments to ensure they meet established purchasing specifications.
* Train staff on the economic impact of portion controls, proper food preparation and other cost controls.
* Complete with a passing score: Onboarding, Guest Services and Sexual Harassment Prevention training programs.
* Complete training on computer software systems.
* Complete training on safe lifting procedures.
* Complete training on bloodborne pathogens.
* Complete training on food safety/contamination/cross-contamination prevention.
* Responsible Vendors certification.
* Complete training on prevention of slips/trips/falls in the food prep and service area.
* Complete training on safe handling procedures and burn prevention.
* Complete training on kitchen equipment safety.
* Complete training on hazardous materials and material/product storage.
* Complete training on fire protection systems -- use, care and prevention.
* In the event of an emergency, the employee will follow the Emergency Action Plan.
* Accidents or incidents that the employee either witnesses or is involved in must be reported immediately or no later than the end of the work day to the employee's supervisor.
* Concerns related to EPLI issues (Employment Practices/Liability Insurance), hostile work environments, sexual harassment, etc. should be brought to the attention of the employee's supervisor or the general manager.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Description of Job Qualifications
* Culinary degree required
Skills and Experience (Essential)
* At least 18 years of age
* Five or more years previous experience as a supervisor or chef in a reputable restaurant
* Must be able to read, communicate effectively and have superb interpersonal skills
* Must be able to work well under pressure while retaining tact and composure when resolving employee or guest complaints
Skills and Experience (Preferred)
* Communication in other languages is helpful
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled