Job DescriptionSous ChefThe Post Oak at Uptown Houston
The Post Oak Hotel is seeking an experienced Sous Chef to join our hotel team. The Sous Chef will be responsible for, but not limited to, assisting the Executive Restaurant Chef in the preparation, organization, planning and execution of all meals periods. Must be able to carry out job requirements in the absence of Senior Chef(s).
The Sous Chef will report directly to the Executive Restaurant Chef and will be responsible for cooperating with fellow Sous Chefs along with assisting line level cooks.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined by The Post Oak Hotel Handbook.
- Report & Assist Restaurant Chef & Sous Chefs with planning of recipe creation, development and execution.
- Ensure daily lineups with colleagues.
- Participate and assist Restaurant Chef in the recruitment of kitchen colleagues.
- Ensure all necessary kitchen items are ordered and/or communicated to Chefs.
- Assist Restaurant Chef & Sous Chefs with the development, implementation and training of all SOP's created for the department and colleagues.
- Assist Senior Chefs with inventory management and quality control.
- Assist Senior Chefs with ordering ingredients and managing food cost.
- Assist Senior Chefs in labor control and well manage kitchen with financial in mind
- Supervise and evaluate kitchen colleagues while managing daily operations, ensuring safe work practices while reporting all injuries and accidents and unsafe work conditions.
- Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program and food products.
- Be able to confidently address guest concerns and service needs in person with the guest.
- Proficient in food allergies and knowledgeable of food preparations for special meal requirements.
- Ensure the colleagues uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with fellow colleagues and Kitchen managers; support colleagues to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other colleagues.
- Assist Restaurant Chef in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, disciplining, motivating and coaching colleagues.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Ensure kitchen compliance and work in a safe manner following Texas sanitation guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Maintain sanitation procedures and organization of work area adhering to all OSHA regulations.
- Follow safe work habits when working with kitchen equipment such as knives, slicer, ovens, stoves, food processors etc.
- Must be able to determine what the minimum standard acceptable for product quality is and make sure that no product is served that fails to meet that minimum standard.
- Rotates food to ensure freshness.
- Ensure his/ her operation is kept in perfect condition (work station as well as coolers and work space such as the back of the house areas including, but not limited to, all kitchens, hallways, storage areas, bathrooms, lockers, Cafeteria),
- Report any defects to the appropriate department.
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.