This position is based in Albany, New York. Relocation assistance is provided.
AFP Management Corp
(a subsidiary of United Capital Corp)
Job Title: Regional Hotel Controller - New York Region
Reports To: Corporate Director of Finance - Hotel Operations
As a result of our continued growth and success we are in search of a Regional Hotel Controller for our New York Hotel Region. This role will be based out of our Hotel in Albany, New York. The Regional Hotel Controller will be responsible for all financial systems, internal controls, financial reporting and implementation and maintenance of computer systems for our New York Hotels. Success awaits a "hands-on" professional who will be responsible for all accounting aspects of these properties, including accounts payable, payroll, general ledger and financial reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the operations of the Hotel accounting department at multiple locations, including strong managerial skills with the ability to train and develop the accounting staff at each Hotel.
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly financial statements, accruals, journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analysis.
- Review of night audit package, including but not limited to, the Daily Revenue Report and posting to the general ledger.
- Prepare and review budgets, forecasts and operating results.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly sales, use and occupancy tax filings, including regulatory compliance concerning tax exempt revenue. Maintain compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Prepare daily reconciliations for cash, credit cards, accounts receivable and sales / occupancy taxes. Investigate and resolve variances and credit card chargebacks.
- Ensures the proper and timely billing of all receivables, including individual, group, airlines and credit cards. Follow through and documents all written and verbal collection efforts for all accounts receivable. Respond to all inquiries regarding accounts receivable. Researches chargebacks, credit card variances and disputed charges.
- On a monthly basis, prepare required reports and documentation of all aged accounts receivable detail including a determination of the allowance for doubtful account and/or accounts receivable write-offs.
- Responsible for administering all accounts payables in a timely manner.
- Review and approval of weekly payroll, verifying compliance with laws and regulations.
- Ensure the Hotel is in compliance with current Accounting Policy Procedures and Controls. Review internal accounting processes for accuracy and effectiveness.
- Strong knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Polices and the Uniform Systems of Accounts for the Lodging Industry.
- Continually look and recommend improvements and efficiencies to current accounting practices.
- Ensure that all house banks and petty cash are handled properly and are counted on a regular basis.
- Work closely and cooperate with the supervisors of all departments in the collection of financial data.
- Able to work in an union environment and verify compliance with all related financial aspects of the union agreement.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments.
- Provide assistance, guidance and counseling to the General Manager, leadership team and employees.
- A four-year degree in accounting, as well as 2 - 4 years minimum related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of hotel operations, services and accounting.
- Accounting experience in full-service hotels.
- Proficiency in computer accounting systems and spreadsheets. Experience using Excel, M3, OnQ, Opera, Micros and ADP a plus.
- Self-motivated to take charge and assume responsibility.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Skilled at building a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment by aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
- This role will require extensive travel to other New York hotels.
- Ability to assess/evaluate other employees' performance in a fair and consistent manner.
- Participate in the development of short- and long-term financial and operational goals of the hotel.
See Job Description.