Communications is a strategic function, integral to the marketing discipline, and encompasses the actions taken to influence external guests, internal guests, owners, the company and community-at-large. Marketing, publicity, ecommerce, social media, promotion and civic involvement are all means to accomplish the goal of building business. Communications activities and budget must be integrated into the hotel’s overall sales and marketing plan and must parallel the primary revenue objectives of the hotel. While usually qualitative as opposed to quantitative, every communications action should strive to impact the hotel’s revenue objectives and be directed towards a specific goal.
To guarantee success in this function, the ideal candidate must understand how to develop and execute strategic marketing and ecommerce activities, local media pitches; photo shoots, collateral and social media channels; must have excellent writing skills and speaking ability; ability to handle multiple priorities and projects effectively. The Marketing Manager (MM) is responsible for all of the above as well as for developing and implementing the property marketing plan, and developing good working relationships with tourism bureaus and community leaders.
The MM provides crisis communications assistance, ensures information to the public and community is displayed correctly and effectively with the best opportunities for providing business and implements an ongoing, focused media and community relations program.
The ideal candidate will be excited to take on a multitude of projects from start to finish. Participate in total hotel management as a member of the marketing team, reporting to, and in partnership with the Corporate Director of Marketing.
- Conducting Daily Marketing Activities that Achieve Hotel Goals Develop annual Communications plan in tandem with Director of Marketing; executing and managing marketing plan and budget throughout year with leisure portion addressing the distribution of rate offers, packages and programs designed to drive rate and build occupancy; specifically tracking actual versus planned marketing budgets and providing input and recommendations as needed regarding reallocation of funding.
- Create and execute innovative publicity and social media campaigns that will increase revenue and awareness; projecting a positive perception of the hotel, its restaurant(s), services, and employees; producing and distributing a minimum of one local media release per month.
- Ensure all media, partners and programs address specific needs as outlined in the marketing plan and capitalize on unexpected opportunities as they arise.
- Maintain consistency in messaging of all hotel communications and promotions; prioritizing pull-through of hotel positioning, including all guest touch points and reflecting the highest level of professionalism in content and presentation.
- Solicit and respond to new media outlets and travel media individuals; selecting the best opportunities for the property based on market conditions and property needs; using creative selling abilities to obtain maximum exposure through travel journalists and media outlets; increasing awareness within the travel media community as well as coordinating events to gain exposure and grow revenue for the hotel, restaurant(s) and services.
- Coordinate offers and information for all publications and inserts with regard to hotel branding, promotions and guest loyalty program mailings.
- Plan and supervise all photo and video shoots, developing the shot list while keeping the goals of the property and hotel/brand image in mind.
- Develop brochure and property collateral materials, including all property imaging work (e.g., signage).
- Maintain, update, and manage all content on all web sites (e.g. hotel, restaurant, etc.).
Supporting Hotel’s Political Relationships
- Track articles on operations and property events.
- Attend brand, business and public affair events.
Using Knowledge of Market Trends and Target Customer Information to Maximize Revenue
- Evaluate new marketing opportunities for the property.
- Ensure property is represented on all quality internet sites that have the potential of providing business.
- Work closely with respective Convention Bureaus and Chambers of Tourism.
- Use and interpret all reporting necessary for sound marketing recommendations, including but not limited to DMA source market reports, past guest lists (utilizing leisure rate codes) and tracking.
- Provide regular tracking/ROI and analysis of marketing initiatives, social media, advertising, direct mail, promotions and website/email campaigns, using industry averages for ROI calculation, and use this knowledge in future planning.
- Building Successful Relationships that Generate Sales & Marketing Opportunities
- Build and strengthen relationships with existing and new travel writers and local media to ensure future exposure; conducting site inspections with visiting journalists and handling calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
- Develop relationships within community to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities and additional revenue; coordinating community service activities in concert with the public image and needs of the hotel.
- Identify and communicate with distribution channels that can sell distressed inventory to drive property occupancy.
- Act on behalf of property with all vendors; exacting a balance between quality work and price; requesting estimates and approving all materials as needed.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide monthly and quarterly performance reports on all marketing activities.
- Implement at least one new marketing promotion, program or initiative per quarter.
- Assist the General Manager with all Crisis Communications as it pertains to the media and external/internal guest during any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the Security Department.
- Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
- Respond to guest questions.
- Provide guest assistance, direction and information as requested when working in public areas.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the local media; providing timely and accurate responses when queried; staying abreast of news; launching proactive communications plan internally and externally.
- Maintain professional relationships with local media and gain cooperation and respect to earn a reputation as a source of reliable, newsworthy information.
- Act as an advisor to management by tracking public attitudes and making General Manager aware of the possible consequences of prospective decisions. Keep detailed files and records on all matters relative to property's marketing materials (photo usage rights, vendor contracts, etc.).
- Ensure that property is following all corporate marketing guidelines.
- Represent the hotel at various functions and trade shows. Participate and network through key organizations.
- Available to work at various days and times, as required.
- Includes, weekends, Holidays and evenings.
- Demonstrate an awareness of personal strengths and areas for professional improvement; willing to learn from others; acting independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Share learnings, innovations, and best practices with others. Establish and maintain effective relationships with peers and superiors.
- Conduct/attend, weekly strategic sales meetings, management meetings and other meetings as required/ requested.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Corporate Director of Marketing.
KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE /EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Travel, hospitality or luxury goods background preferred 4-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Business Administration, or related major.
- 4-years’ experience in public relations, communications, advertising or related professional area.
- Demonstrated proficiency and accuracy in using MS Office products such as Word, Excel, and Outlook to include graphs, tables and other spreadsheet functions.
- Results-driven accountability for all communications efforts, which are tracked and evaluated. Knowledge of production methods in graphic arts, printing, film, radio and television.
- Portfolio of quality writing samples, projects, campaigns, etc.
- Discreet, able to maintain confidentiality and handle difficult inquiries with finesse.
- Detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple tasks and have high levels of patience and organization. Strong organizer with the ability to maintain comprehensive and cohesive records.
- Able to create newsworthy events and understands the Communications potential in hotel happenings.
- Effective communicator with all levels of management, staff, business community, press, VIPs.
- Efficient user of standard office equipment such as a telephone, computer, facsimile and copy machine. Excellent media, community and business contacts. Exceptional personal and business references.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to move throughout the work area while performing the essential job functions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Ability to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the hotel’s attendance policy.
- Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies regarding safety and grooming standards.
EOE/M/F/D/V/SO We participate in E-Verify