Highgate is a leading real estate investment and hospitality management company widely recognized as an innovator in the industry. Highgate is the dominant player in major U.S. gateway cities including New York, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and Honolulu, with a growing Caribbean and Latin America footprint. The hospitality forward company provides expert guidance through all stages of the property cycle, from planning and development through recapitalization or disposition. Highgate has a proven record of developing its diverse portfolio of bespoke lifestyle hotel brands, legacy brands, and independent hotels and resorts with contemporary programming and digital acumen. The company utilizes industry-leading revenue management tools that efficiently identify and predict evolving market dynamics to drive outperformance and maximize asset value. With an executive team consisting of some of the most experienced hotel management leaders, the company is a trusted partner for top ownership groups and major hotel brands. Highgate maintains corporate offices in New York, Chicago, Dallas, London, Miami, and Seattle. www.highgate.com . Location
This 109-room boutique property boasts stunning ocean views and direct access to one of California's most beautiful beaches. For guests looking to host events with a Bohemian vibe, the Pacific Edge offers five individually branded bungalows all steps from the beach. The hotel is also home to one of the only open-air, beachside restaurants in Laguna Beach. Employment Status
The Hotel Manager is responsible for continually focusing on achieving hotel profitability through revenue generation, cost control, guest satisfaction and developing employees training and engagement, while maintaining the integrity of the hotel.Responsibilities
- Participate in hotel sales efforts, including calling on top ten accounts, meeting clients, hosting luncheons and receptions, and meeting with on-site contacts on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Tour the operating departments, daily, ensuring the smooth operation and staffing in all areas making adjustments as needed via department heads.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings, including weekly training sessions and review of previous and future sales and operations efforts.
- Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with all operational department heads to ensure proper training, review of financials, goals and operational performance.
- Attend operational line ups at least once a week (Housekeeping, Front Desk, MaSo, Culinary and Banquets)
- Meet all financial review dates and corporate directed programs in a timely fashion.
- Hold a monthly financial review with all department managers, M.OI.D.s and available supervisors.
- Ensure that all department heads maintain budgeted productivity levels and Highgate Hotel standard checkbook accounting procedures.
- Develop managers for future advancement through competency training and corporate sponsored training programs.
- Participate in required M.O.D. coverage as scheduled.
- Maintain, develop and monitor the effectiveness of the Lobby Ambassador program
- Maintain direct contact with and monitor the development of management trainees.
- Adhere to all Highgate Hotel policies and procedures and train new managers to ensure compliance.
- Oversee and assist in the Highgate Hotel's budget process as required.
- Oversee and assist in the Highgate Hotel's monthly forecast process as required
- Ensure that training in service standards is taking place in each department using the steps to effective training according to Highgate Hotel standards.
- Ensure that all department heads follow the payroll procedure, managing Overtime and meal break penalties according to Highgate SOP
- Ensure that all operational departments as well as our vendors and partners follow the PCI compliance protocol.
- Assist in creating a positive team-oriented environment which focuses on the guest, through employee development and motivation.
- Inspect rooms regularly (weekly at a minimum) with both the Housekeeping Manager and Property Engineer. And GM
- Ensure complete processing of invoices daily by using the A/P process.
- Ensure that all appropriate information for financial documents is received by the Corporate Office monthly, in compliance with the monthly accounting calendar.
- Ensure the cleanliness and maintenance of the physical property through inspections and preventive maintenance programs with department managers.
- Ensure that employees are at all times attentive, friendly, courteous and efficient in their interactions with guests, management and all other employees.
- On a monthly basis, forecast the hotel's financial position by estimating revenues and line-by-line expenses. Analyze previous and projected data to generate an accurate Reforecast.
- Prepare and conduct all operational management interviews and follow hiring procedures according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s. Ensure that all managers are in compliance with the standards in their interviewing and hiring procedures for departmental staff.
- Interview all prospective final candidates for any vacant operational management position within the hotel prior to any offer being extended.
- Perform all department manager performance appraisals according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s, and ensure that managers are in compliance to the standards in their administration of performance appraisals to their staff.
- Motivate, coach, counsel and discipline all management personnel according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s and ensure that managers are in compliance to the standards in their administration of counseling and disciplinary steps.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the Vice President of Operations, Regional Director of Operations, General Manager.
- Ensure that all employees receive fair and equitable treatment according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s.
- Meet clients on the property, including meeting contacts and potential clients touring the property, to assist in the sales effort.
- Be in the public areas during peak times, greeting guests and offering assistance as needed.
- Ensure procedures for handling of the hotel safe specifically with regard to security and monthly safe audits are followed and occur.
- Ensure monthly credit meetings are conducted and take an active role in the hotel credit and collection policies.
- Complete required corporate training modules, and become certified to train those as required.
- Ensure that all scheduled meetings take place on the property.
- In conjunction with the Director of Sales, conduct daily WBR meeting.
- At least 6 years progressive experience in a hotel or a related field
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Participate in M.O.D. coverage as required.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
For California Applicants Only
Highgate Hotels, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains the policy of recruiting and retaining the best-qualified personnel who demonstrate the ability to perform competently and work well with others. It is the policy of Highgate Hotels to provide equal employment opportunity regardless of race (including traits historically or culturally associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress and religious grooming), color, age (40 and over), genetic information, disability (mental and physical), medical condition (as defined under state law), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under section 12801.9 of the California Vehicle Code), ancestry, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression), sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, parental status, domestic partner status, citizenship status, pregnancy (including perceived pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or pregnancy-related conditions), military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy of nondiscrimination is applied to all aspects of the employment relationship. The Company complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable state and local laws in ensuring equal opportunity and employment for qualified persons with disabilities. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.