In less than 2 minutes, get your
Personal Score for every job
Director of Weddings & Events
The role of the Director of Weddings & Events is to develop new concepts and events that serve as a platform to engage both local residents and hotel guests, and through the marketing of these events enhance the Grand Del Mar brand in the region. These events must be economically viable, operationally manageable, creative and unique while keeping in context with our Five Star status. Events are intended to enhance occupancy and to drive both top sales and bottom line profits while “Bringing the Grand to Life”! The role will also oversee the strategic oversight of the Weddings segment including business development, partner relations, sales strategy, creation and oversight of standard operating procedures (there would be no direct sales responsibilities or servicing of individually booked events except in times of need)
The Director of Weddings & Events (special events, animation, hotel activation, holiday events, retail, guest events, guest interaction, social events, Guest activities and guest engagement, Marketed Events, Image Events, Image Development, Branding Events, guest activity programing) will report to the Hotel Manager. The Director of Events & Experiences will provide leadership in the planning, coordination and implementation of events, traditions and guest experiences that support the Grand Del Mar Brand development and the image of the hotel in the community and market.
· He/She conducts extensive market research to uncover new and innovative events and activities taking place in any and all sources that could be applicable to the hotel. i.e. Other resort hotels, Cruise Lines, Theme Parks, City programs, Spa and Wellness facilities, Golf Clubs, Civic organizations, Special interest Clubs, Sporting Events, etc. as found through social media, marketing, advertising and internet searches.
· He/She is responsible for the conceptualization of marketable events to be included in an annual strategic plan, and provided a budget that estimates revenues, costs and profitability of the activities plan.
· With the assistance of the Extended Executive committee develops ideas and creates Concept Briefs for each event.
· The Director of Weddings & Events works with the Director of Wellness to enhance and initiate new activities for the Explorers Club and Wellness initiatives and will provide all typical event support as would be required for any other event.
· Works with Director of F&B to develop seasonal events and marketable entertainment to enhance and activate the restaurants, pools and bars
· He/She works with the Director of Sales and Marketing to conceptualize marketing plans and provides timely information for the marketing team to develop the advertising and marketing support for events and activities..
· He/She identifies retail opportunities and coordinates the procurement of salable items, the set up and marketing of the items, sales and sales information, and coordination of systems for point of sale and cash/credit card management.
· He/She coordinates all contracts, procurement and fulfill appropriate accounting requirements as stipulated by the Director of Finance.
· He/She will create sales forecasts, expense forecasts and profitability estimates for each event and activity. Post event evaluations and recaps of sales, costs, and logistics challenges are to be reviewed with the Executive Committee. Go forward recommendations and plans are to be included in the recaps.
· He/She is responsible for all pre-and post-event communication, event scheduling, timelines, logistics meetings, task documentation and coordination, equipment procurement, engineering requirements, lighting and sound needs, staffing requirements, necessary permitting, necessary insurance coverages, and all other administrative duties related to smooth execution of the events.
· He/She develops logistic plans to support operations that include ingress, egress, parking, guest traffic coordination, signage, safety, bathroom requirements, trash management, and provisions for those with disabilities.
· He/She coordinates pre event orientations and assignments for any external contract labor.
· He/She creates event resumes and will work with Catering to provide all necessary information for the timely creation of Banquet Event Orders.
· He/She will coordinate any outside vendors, their requirements and logistics for their operation.
· He/She coordinates operations requirements with Executive Team Members and creates diagrams in a timely manner showing all requirements for each event.
· He/She conducts neighborhood outreach to advise local residents of any activities that may affect their area.
· He/She is the hotel contact for all local HOA’s, community organizations, civic groups, charitable organizations and political interests to develop and manager relationships and promote community engagement for the benefit of the hotel and its image in the community.
· He/She coordinates in-house communication with Talent & Culture to ensure all employees are informed about plans and opportunities to participate in events.
· He/She auditions, coordinates, books and all hotel entertainment in coordination with the Director of F&B, books entertainment and talent for in house and marketable events, and supports any local/wedding guest or event planner with options for entertainment or theatrical needs
· Any other activities, ideas, projects as directed by the Director of Operations.
· Strategic development of the Weddings Segment to include menu development, package creation and pricing architecture (In conjunction with DOC and DF&B)
· Oversight of Wedding vendor and partner relationships
· Collaboration on proactive marketing efforts for the Wedding segment with the RDOSM, marketing team and DOC to include digital and print collateral development, gifting, social media strategy and oversight of promotional and familiarization events
· Partnership development and oversight of the Weddings segment including mentorship of the Weddings Team with the Director of Catering and Convention Services
· Post-secondary education, or graduate of recognized Hotel and Restaurant Management program or equivalent
· 3-5 years’ experience in Sales Management, Catering, Events or related field.
· Full understanding of the luxury hotel market
· Strong leadership, dynamic personality, excellent interpersonal skills, a reputation for integrity and proven role model
· Strong written and verbal communications skills (multi-lingual as necessary)
· Computer/Office skills required
· Ability to work weekends/holidays/evenings
· Ability to work outdoors
· Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
· Needs to distinguish the various priorities as they relate to both guests and employees.
· Must have ability to work with others to create attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, and cooperativeness
· Must have ability to secure minimum levels of skills and abilities that would allow for a proficient job orientation based on specific tasks and methods. This is to provide a safe working environment according to OSHA regulations that would protect both the employee and coworkers.
|Address||5300 Grand Del Mar Court, San Diego, CA, 92130 View map|