The brand new SOMA Mission Bay Hotel
in San Francisco, featuring 299 guest rooms, multiple suites, meeting and event spaces, a rooftop bar/lounge with indoor/outdoor space and a garden accessible to the public is set to open mid-2021. Steps away from the NBA Chase Center and MLB Oracle Park, this brand new independent hotel with upscale ground floor dining and excellent street access will bring a comfortable space for guests and new energy to the neighborhood at 3rd and Channel Streets in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco!SOMA Mission Bay Hotel
is seeking a seasoned and energetic Director of Sales and Marketing to join our pre-opening team! This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Sales Director. The ideal candidate will have independent hotel opening experience.
The Director of Sales & Marketing emphasis will be on attaining the hotel goals of maximum revenue and profit in rooms and food & beverage while providing the guest with the highest level of quality service. The DOSM develops marketing plans, sales quotas and forecasts. You will also solicits and service business in the hotel in accordance with the marketing plan and established market segments. The DOSM will be high profile and maintain excellent perception and reputation in the marketplace. As the DOSM during the hotel opening, you will engage and drive the public relations while optimizing revenues.JOB DUTIES:
- Develop pricing and market strategies with the General Manager, Revenue Manager, and VP of Marketing. Actively monitor competition and marketplace in general; must be prepared and able to react under fluctuating market conditions.
- Prepare and execute annual marketing plan, promotion and advertising plans covering sales, food & beverage events, hotel promotions, media relations and property campaigns.
- Design plans and materials for promotions and public relations.
- Set, meet and/or exceed revenues, booking goals within budgeted cost and revenue.
- Drive proactive efforts for sales and catering team to obtain our fair share of revenue in the marketplace through preparation, construction and presentation of creative customer proposals and oversee negotiation of contracts on the hotel’s behalf.
- Responsible for prompt handling (within the business day) of inquiry calls and monitoring the efficient work relative to confirming function details to the client.
- Solicit new and repeat Group and Transient Business directly and jointly with your team through the preparation, execution, and completion of action plans.
- Create and maintain client data base in Sales Management software.
- Identify and negotiate with local corporate accounts, Professional Sports teams and medical related business specific to the local market.
- Ability to determine the guest needs, space availability, and meeting details through active listening with the ability to close the business.
- Develop and promote weekly, monthly and quarterly sales objectives.
- Develop and improve a continued relationship with key corporate accounts.
- Develop and create exciting and memorable site inspections to accompany inventive and creative proposals.
- Conduct sales calls locally, domestically and virtually utilizing all resources.
- Monitor pricing, service levels, facilities and function activities at competitive properties to ensure the Hotel remains in a competitive position.
- Evaluate each potential piece of business for profitability and overall benefit to the Hotel.
- Have acquired knowledge and ability to upsell clients, while promoting a level of service equal or exceeding to the luxury stature of the property.
- Complete coordination of the sales group functions; accurate and timely preparation of detailed sales proposals, contracts and group resumes as necessary to ensure a common quality understanding of what the client is to receive in terms of products and services. Review function contracts prior to distribution to client and hotel staff.
- Follow up on the progress of groups booked including room night pick up, rooming lists and cut off dates
- Generate follow up efforts to clients after functions with prompt follow up of negative client feedback as necessary.
- Active and present in the community while expertly representing the property in community affairs and industry related events.
- Understand and prepare weekly activity reports to include all financial booking performance and personal call reports for active solicitation performed.
- Work in conjunction and communicate daily with department managers and MOD to assure consistency and pass on pertinent information.
- Consistently monitor the performance of team members on an on-going basis and provide feedback. Reward, coach and document team member performance and provide timely counseling. Address team member complaints, oversee escalation and resolution.
- Identify and hire qualified, goal and service focused individuals. Mentor and develop providing clear guidelines.
- Be a Team Player encouraging the teamwork philosophy throughout the property.
- Provide technical and sales expertise to Catering Managers, while fostering the open channel of communication between Sales and Catering Departments.
- Have a thorough knowledge of hotel fire regulations and policy, accident reports, safety programs, and what the direct duties are in relation to each; ensure that your team members are properly trained in these procedures.
- Facilitate departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in process and technology advances; address the needs identified by team members.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department with emphasis on achieving or exceeding of predetermined booking goals.
- Prepare and control hotel budget for sales, promotions and advertising.
- Manage departmental expenses in accordance with budgetary goals.
- Prepare 30-60-90 Day Revenue Forecast on a monthly basis for presentation.
- Hold daily business review meetings and attend daily hotel stand-up and inter-departmental meetings.
- Be familiar with the operating procedures of all other areas of the hotel, cooperating fully and in a friendly manner with those areas to assure guest satisfaction.
- Determine the requirements for and the follow up on special groups, VIPs, etc.
- Participate in Hotel Manager on Duty Program.
- Inspect banquet functions prior to guest arrival and make personal contact with client at the time of function with proper introduction of service staff who will handle the event
- Maintain active liaison with competitors regionally through personal contacts, professional and industry associations.
- 5 years of experience as a Director of Sales at a full service property
- Experience with boutique-lifestyle brands or in an independent upscale hotel environment
- Four Star/Four Diamond, upscale hotel experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management or related area of study preferred
- Previous hotel opening experience preferred
- Previous experience in the San Francisco market preferred
- Requirement to relocate as a full time resident to the area within 90 days of hire (if not local.)
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
The employer will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner required by the FCO.
SOMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 415-266-9809 to let us know the nature of your request. Experience5 year(s):
5 years of experience as a Director of Sales at a full service property