Purpose / Objective
The overall objective and purpose of the Director of Sales & Catering position is to coordinate, supervise, manage and direct all aspects of the Catering & Sales Department in accordance with Hotel standards. The incumbent is responsible for coordinating details and menus for clients' functions and maintaining budgeted revenues through solicitation of business while controlling expenditures. They are to provide inspiring and strategic leadership while directing the activities of the outlets in support of the mission, core values, standards and goals established by the company.
Areas of Responsibility
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Monitor the Revenue pace of Sales and Catering and lead the teams to sell into those periods that require increased pace.
- Formulate the Sales Travel plan for the year - identifying travel needs based on Feeder Markets and developing segments.
- Work cooperatively between Revenue Management, PR and Marketing to establish strategic goals for attaining budgets.
- Direct, organize and supervise departmental activities including, but not limited to, telemarketing, prospecting and qualifying potential leads, soliciting viable leads, and preparing and presenting written proposals/contracts and oral presentations.
- Direct and develop team member's performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision and professional development, scheduling, coaching and counseling and timely evaluations, improving performance and delivering recognition and reward.
- Recruit, interview and train team members.
- Assist in compiling sales forecasts, collecting and reporting sales data and managing the departmental budget.
- Oversees the optimization and use of the many Sales systems offered via the Collection and Brand.
- Develop and target lists and action plans for account solicitation, assist in assignment and distribution of leads and inquiries and assist in the approval of file turnovers.
- Meet with clients on property, on sales calls and at trade shows.
- Direct maintenance of sales files, accounts and additional administrative duties.
- Participate in leadership meetings and BEO meetings.
- Serves on the property Executive Committee and attends weekly Executive Committee meetings.
- Achieves established sales goals for the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
- Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
- Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
- Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
- Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
- Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
- Advanced level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
- Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations
- Knowledge of CI/TY or Delphi, including merging menus, blocking function space and creating BEO's.
- Knowledge of staffing guidelines/requirements to set-up, turn and break-down function spaces.
- Knowledgeable of revenue forecasting and variance preparation.
- Knowledgeable of Top Accounts for the Hotel.
- Ability to create, implement and analyze manual and automated reports.
- Knowledge of food and beverage operations.
Supervisory and leadership responsibilities include achieving results through providing direction and accountability of the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies established by the Kessler Collection.
- Group Sales Manager
- Catering Sales Manager
- Events Services Manager
- Catering Coordinator
Standards & Culture
Individuals must serve as a cultural ambassador by upholding and promoting our standards.
Image & Presence: Bohemian. Our team is sophisticated and purposeful in its communication and body language
- 50% Classical European, 35% Colorful Gypsy Lifestyle, 15% Funky California Free Spirit
Service: Intuitive. Our team inspires the guest (and Grand Performer) experience with warmth and deliberate elegance.
- Greet, Undivided Attention, Enthusiastic Response, Smile, Thank You
- Listen, Empathize & Apologize, Accept Responsibility, Do Something About it, Exceed Expectations, Recover Loyalty
Performance: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
- Build loyalty to the company and not yourself
- Enhance property/company perception by both community and Grand Performers
- Align yourself with the company and lead others to do the same
- Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results across departments and property locations
- Actively participate in meetings and shares ideas to determine the right course of action
- Foster a climate where individuals are committed to partnering and asking for help when needed
- Enthusiastically share knowledge, experience and talent with others
- Suggest methods for improving productivity and product quality
- Prepared and punctual for all meetings
- Conducts business and complete tasks according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Utilize required systems, equipment and resources
- Increase revenue/productivity while keeping costs within budget
- Prioritize urgent/vital tasks in order to meet set deadlines
- Improve professional competency and property/location performance
- Accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions
- Self-aware, solicit and embrace feedback
- Communicate feedback openly and respectfully
To perform this role successfully, an individual must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Corporate Sales Team
- Corporate Revenue Management Team
- General Manager
- Director of Food and Beverage
- Executive Chef
- Property Banquet Team
Education, Certifications, Work Experience :
- Bachelor's degree - required
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title - required
- Experience within luxury brand/markets - preferred
- Previous event planning experience - preferred
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
- Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
- Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. *Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions & physical demands of this role .
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumben...
See Job Description