In less than 2 minutes, get your
Personal Score for every job
The Director of Finance assumes all management responsibilities of the Accounting Department of The Beach Club and functions as the key finance manager in the absence of the General Manager. The ideal candidate will possess the desire and ability to appropriately interact in a professional, friendly, and articulate manner with the members, guests, and staff. The Director of Finance, by credentials, reputation, and performance, will partner with the General Manager in preparing and implementing the annual budgets, develop policies to control and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records; develops, establishes, and administers procedures and systems pertaining to financial matters; prepares financial statements, forecasts, and analyses for all administrative and managerial functions. Maintains all accounting records and is responsible for development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information. Evaluates operating results in terms of costs, budgets, policies of operation, trends, and increased profit possibilities. Supervises the staffing, scheduling, training, and professional development of department members.
Reports to: General Manager
Responsible for: Accounting Department
Indirectly Responsible for: Human Resources Department
Specific Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
· Manages all financial operations of the Club.
· Formulates, receives, and recommends policy proposals for approval relating to accounting and auditing, the budget, revenue, and cost control procedures.
· Lead the Club in capital and construction financing.
· Supervises or prepares the monthly trial balance and resulting financial statements for the Club along with required supporting schedules and other data necessary for financial reports and records.
· Manages and conducts internal auditing programs to ensure records are accurately maintained and established policies and practices are satisfactorily and consistently followed.
· Prepares budgets and financial forecasts in coordination with various committees, department, and General Manager; analyzes financial information, monitors budgeted versus actual expenditures and advises management about variances and their potential causes; recommends corrective actions to help assure budget goals are met.
· Works with the Club’s external auditors to assure that procedures are consistent with Club policies.
· Directs, participates in, and verifies the taking of inventories for retail shop as well as food and beverage and youth.
· Assumes a leadership role for annual insurance renewals as well as broker reviews every 3 years. Ensures that all insurance records for Club property are properly maintained.
· Informs and advises other department heads about the financial aspects of their responsibilities as well as partnering with them to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
· Prepares and/or supervises preparation of applicable federal, state, and local tax returns.
· Services as the club specialist on all matters related to computer applications, annual and special audits, insurance, and employment records.
· Prepare accounting reports and analysis as necessary and appropriately for dissemination to the Board of Directors, Finance Committee and Leadership Team.
· Attends monthly Finance Committee and other meetings as required.
· Oversees member billing and collection procedures. Monitor’s collection of past due accounts advises General Manager and Finance Committee of any accounts in collection.
· Safeguards all funds in bank accounts; assures that revenues are properly and correctly deposited and supervises the drawing of all checks.
· Maintains all technology of the club thru 3rd party vendors including security cameras, point of sales.
· Select, trains, supervises, and evaluates accounting staff; plans professional development and training activities for staff.
· As a member of the Executive Staff Team will work closely with the Human Resources, Membership and Communications, Executive Chef, and Assistant General Manager on all building and maintenance projects.
· Ensures that department has monthly safety and continued safety training given to appropriate staff members.
· Manages and procures clubs back office and point of sales hardware and software.
· Produces computer reports including payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger and monthly financial statements.
· Seeks out new and innovative ways to meet and respond to the needs and demands of the ever changing and diverse age group of the membership. Displays strategic thinking, excellence, passion, and forethought.
· Maintains and continually improves on member service quality in the management of direct reports, and all relevant club environments.
· Interact positively with members and resolve problems to the satisfaction of involved parties. Maintains communications with all departments to ensure needs are met.
· Coordinates with the GM, as appropriate, on staff compensation, benefits, performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, and other significant personnel actions, including keeping the GM informed of significant changes before they occur.
· Coordinates closely with Human Resources for new hires, terminations, performance evaluations, and employee relation issues, and is responsible for hiring, training, developing, and evaluating staff.
· Places great importance on staff communications and interaction.
· Undertakes special projects and assumes other duties and responsibilities as directed by the General Manager.
· Maintains professional memberships and attends educational offerings that benefit both the club and their personal career growth.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will have an upbeat and outgoing personality and will possess the desire and ability to appropriately interact with enthusiasm, professionalism, poise, and class with the members, guests, and employees of the club. The chosen candidate will be especially strong in financial/cost control acumen, and human resource insight. A familiarity with “the Southern California lifestyle” and/or family ties to the area will be viewed as a significant plus. The ideal Director of Finance will:
· Provide quality leadership and contribute to the positive atmosphere of the Club and associated operations.
· Possess effective problem-solving, effective verbal and written communication skills, while demonstrating respect and achieving respect of the staff and the executive staff team.
Exhibit excellent people and communication (written, verbal, social media, and computer) skills, as well as a level of “conversational sophistication” to interact with members and staff.
· Be skilled with MS Word and Excel
· Possess the ability to supervise subordinate staff, including, but not limited to, assignment of duties, evaluating service, and taking disciplinary action when necessary.
· Can develop ongoing professional development and training programs for the entire staff and coordinate with other department managers if the training affects their staff, i.e., kitchen, housekeeping, and maintenance.
· Be able to engage with members as well as staff and be especially empathetic to the needs of both constituencies.
· Can prepare and analyze data, figures, and transcriptions.
· Experience in capital project and renovation financing
· Possess mandatory budgetary analysis capabilities.
· Demonstrate knowledge of food service techniques and cost controls such as manpower, productivity, food cost and other expenses.
· Have a working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
• Minimum 5 years in a similar capacity, preferably in hospitality and/or the private, non-profit club environment
• Proven track record of team management, organizational and coaching skills
• Excellent verbal and written business communication skills
• Able to foster effective working relationships with member and staff leadership teams
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher). Email and internet savvy, payroll management and point of sale systems.
Professional business attire required. All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per club standards.
May – June 2021
Education: College degree in accounting or related field required; CPA preferred
Experience, certifications, licenses, etc.
Experience in generation and analysis of financial reports required, CPA desired, but not required.
Physical/Environmental Demands: Ability to work in an office environment with prolonged periods of sitting and data entry.
Work Environment: Office
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Club offers excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and AD&D, 401K, vacation, paid sick leave, etc.
|Address||201 Palisades Beach Road, Santa Monica, CA, 90402 View map|