Objective / Purpose
The overall objective and purpose of the Director of Finance is to function as the hotel's strategic financial business leader by developing and implementing hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the hotel's target guest and property Grand Performers. The incumbent is responsible for providing financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the hotel service strategy and initiatives while maximizing the return on investment to the owners by creation and execution of a business plan (annual budget) that is aligned with the hotel and company's business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial and accounting activities and the delivery of desirable financial results. They are to provide inspiring and strategic leadership while directing the activities of the hotel in support of the mission, core values, standards and goals established by the company.
Areas of Responsibility (AOR)
Pri mary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Directs preparation of budgets, reviews budget proposals, and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification
- Works with the executive team to develop and maintain an accurate financial forecast
- Provides management with timely reviews of organization's financial status and progress in its various programs and activities
- Partners with and advises the GM and other leaders on existing and evolving operating/financial issues
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e. costs are properly matched to revenue; costs are recorded in the proper accounts)
- Analyzes financial data and market trends
- Ensures appropriate corrective actions are made based on internal/external audit results
- Reviews payroll records to ensure accuracy and proper coding in line with budgeted labor
- Oversees the Labor Productivity program to prevent unnecessary use of labor
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks
- Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes
- Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear, persuasive, and professional manner that drives desired behaviors
- Provide Department Heads and Managers/Supervisors training on the various financial systems
- Facilitates financial and labor critique meetings with the management team
- Assists other departments with unresolved guest billing issues and issues involving cash, credit cards, invoices, etc.
- Spot check inventory counts to ensure accuracy of inventory extension
- Research inventory discrepancies when costs deviate from budget and trends
- All other duties planned assigned, planned or un-planned
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities (KSA)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
- Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
- Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
- Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
- Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
- Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge of accounting software, payroll systems, spreadsheet software and word processing software
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, peers and subordinates
Supervisory and leadership responsibilities include achieving results through providing direction and accountability of the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies established by the Kessler Collection.
- Property Accounting Staff
Standards & Culture
Individuals must serve as a cultural ambassador by upholding and promoting our standards.
Image & Presence: Bohemian. Our team is sophisticated and purposeful in their communication and body language
- 50% Classical European, 35% Colorful Gypsy Lifestyle, 15% Funky California Free Spirit
Service: Intuitive. Our team inspires the guest (and Grand Performer) experience with warmth and deliberate elegance.
- Greet, Undivided Attention, Enthusiastic Response, Smile, Thank You
- Listen, Empathize & Apologize, Accept Responsibility, Do Something About it, Exceed Expectations, Recover Loyalty
Performance: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
- Build loyalty to the company and not yourself
- Enhance property/company perception by both community and Grand Performers
- Align yourself with the company and lead others to do the same
- Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results across departments and property locations
- Actively participate in meetings and shares ideas to determine the right course of action
- Foster a climate where individuals are committed to partnering and asking for help when needed
- Enthusiastically share knowledge, experience and talent with others
- Suggest methods for improving productivity and product quality
- Prepared and punctual for all meetings
- Conducts business and complete tasks according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Utilize required systems, equipment and resources
- Increase revenue/productivity while keeping costs within budget
- Prioritize urgent/vital tasks in order to meet set deadlines
- Improve professional competency and property/location performance
- Accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions
- Self-aware, solicit and embrace feedback
- Communicate feedback openly and respectfully
To perform this role successfully, an individual must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Corporate Director of Accounting
- General Manager
- Director of Human Resources
Education, License, Certifications, Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business or related experience and/or training; or equivalent - preferred
- 4+ years of experience in Accounting - required
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title - required
- Experience within luxury brand/markets - required
Objective / Purpose
The overall objective and purpose of the Director of Finance is to function as the hotel's strategic financial business leader by developing and implementing hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the hotel's target guest and property Grand Performers. The incumbent is responsible for providing financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the hotel service strategy and initiatives while maximizing the return on investment to the owners by creatio...
See Job Description