This is the job description for DIRECTOR OF CATERING
Job Title: Director of Catering
Company: Dimension Development
Reports To: Director of Sales
Supervises: Catering Sales Manager, Convention Service Manager, Catering Administrative Assistant
Job Purpose: Generation of budgeted top line catering revenue for the hotel through revenue maximization and profit.
1. Lead, train & mentor catering staff including hiring, coaching development, performing evaluations,
disciplinary actions and terminations.
2. Develop marketing plans and evaluate trends to modify strategies that will enhance revenues effectively.
Assist in the production of annual hotel business plan.
3. Drive all catering revenues. Ensure the quarterly and annual revenue goals are achieved for the hotel.
4. Maintain a close working relationship with the Director of Food & Beverage, Chef and Banquet Manager.
5. Direct the catering sales effort to ensure revenue maximization with a working knowledge of food & beverage
compositions and an understanding of kitchen and banquet service procedures.
6. Ensure that hotel credit procedures and audit guidelines are followed.
7. Maintain good rapport with local civic groups and companies.
8. Ensure quality standards are met in areas of customer service and satisfaction.
9. Use leadership skills in Banquet Event Order Meetings, Pre- and Post-Conference Meetings, Sales Meetings,
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. Have computer skills to include word processing, spreadsheet, and familiarity with brand specific property
2. Exercise excellent communication, presentation, organization, time management and listening skills.
3. Use analytical skills for measuring business potential and value to the hotel.
4. Interact with all levels of customers and hotel management.
Education: Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or a related field
Experience: Minimum 3 years banquet or meeting planner experience, or the equivalent industry experience; OR,
an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses/Certifications: None required
X Interview, select and train associates
X Set and adjust associates' rates of pay and hours of work
X Direct the work of associates
X Appraise associates' productivity and efficiency for purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in
X Handle associate complaints
X Discipline associates
X Plan the work
X Determine the techniques to be used
X Apportion the work among associates
X Determine types of materials, supplies, machinery, equipment/tools used or merchandise to be bought, stocked
X Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
X Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
X Plan and control the budget
X Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
X Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-time
associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
X Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing,
advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Physical Requirements and working conditions:
Ability to speak and hear in English. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing. Frequently lifts/carries up to 10 lbs. Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills. Continually works in normal office conditions and in close proximity to others.
Additional physical, visual and working requirements:
X Walk extended distances
X Able to work overtime and irregular hours
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the requirements of the job, management reserves the right to add or remove duties from particular jobs when business need dictates.