The Ivy Hotel Concierge/Guest Services Agent
The Ivy Hotel is known for exemplary, best-in-the-state guest service. At The Ivy, the Concierge/Guest Services Agent’s job is unique, challenging, much more multifaceted than the equivalent job at a conventional hotel, and consequently more creative and rewarding. The person manning the Concierge desk is in many ways the visible heart and head of The Ivy, interacting with most guests and all other hotel departments at the highest level of hospitality, with genuine warmth, courtesy, and professionalism.
Guest Services Responsibilities:
* Provide highly personalized hospitality to create a heartfelt sense of welcome and community.
* Greet and provide orientation for first-time visitors, guide them to the restaurant, spa, and fitness room. Welcome back repeat guests as members of the Ivy family.
* Interact with all guests with utmost courtesy and efficiency, moving out from behind the front desk to open doors and assist as needed.
* Proactively anticipate the needs of the guests to create ‘moments of magic’.
* Personalize the delivery of service, using intuition, perception, and creativity. Personal services may include, but are not limited to restaurant reservations, recreation requests, floral orders, in-room spa services, shoe shines, etc.
* Maintain a current knowledge of Baltimore attractions: local restaurants, shopping, cultural attractions, history tours, and special events (concerts, theater, sporting events, etc.)
* When requested, create a personalized itinerary, make reservations, and remind guests of scheduled events and appointments.
* Be able to give clear, concise directions, whether the guest will be walking, driving, or using house transportation.
* Listen attentively to all guest questions, concerns and suggestions, implement prompt positive action, and follow up to assure successful resolution.
* When guests are using the public rooms, provide unobtrusive oversight, and occasionally check with them to see if their needs are met.
Professional and Administrative Responsibilities:
* Attend the daily morning meeting for current updates on arrivals, departures, stayovers, and any new information that pertains to guest satisfaction and comfort. Update team members as appropriate.
* Respond to sometimes simultaneous requests calmly and professionally, whether telephone calls, guests at the desk, etc. Flexibility, quick thinking, and the ability to multitask are essential.
* Maintain a consistent presence at the Concierge desk, and keep it neat and organized.
* Make regular inspections of the first-floor public rooms to ensure they are attractive and well-maintained. Clear away used glasses, teacups, newspapers, etc.
* Use professional telephone etiquette in handling internal and external guest requests.
* Assist and coordinate with F&B Managers daily, for both Magdalena and "Upstairs" Dining.
* Assist with package and amenity deliveries. Log receipts of packages delivered for guests.
* On a daily basis, provide updates, edits, reviews, and additions to the electronic guest history database (guest preferences, birthdays, anniversary and other special dates, restaurants, service providers, etc.).
* As directed, participate in hotel activities, events, and functions.
* A genuine aptitude for and wish to serve and be helpful to both hotel guests and other members of the Ivy team.
* A sincerely friendly, approachable, and professional manner and demeanor, and excellent personal grooming.
* Good computer skills, and the ability to accurately handle cash and charges, and stand for long periods of time.
* Able to work well independently, sometimes under pressure, multitask, self-start, take initiative and use good common sense and judgment
* Demonstrate excellent communication, organizing, decision-making, and interpersonal skills. Personal integrity and absolute discretion to maintain guest privacy are essential.
* Proficiency with electronic resources such as Internet search, Outlook, Word, Open Table, and PMS/POS systems.
* Ability to stand for long periods, walk, sit, talk, and use the phone, and lift up to 40 pounds. Close and distance vision are required.
Education and/or Experience:
* A minimum of two years prior hospitality experience is preferred. Some higher education or vocational training specializing in a luxury setting is a plus.
* Previous Concierge experience preferred but not essential.
* Excellent geographic knowledge of the surrounding area
* Have the flexibility to work different shifts including but not limited to weekends and holidays.
* Frequent interruptions may occur.
* Maintain a clean-cut and professional appearance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. The Ivy Hotel is an EOE.
see above for details