This is the job description for CHIEF ENGINEER (Salaried).
Job Title: Chief Engineer
Company: Dimension Development
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Maintenance Associates
Job Purpose: To supervise maintenance operations - i.e., refrigeration, heating, plumbing, etc., maintain the highest standards of the physical structure of the hotel to ensure guest satisfaction in all areas of the property.
1. Supervise, develop and maintain ongoing maintenance operation for hotel, including refrigeration, heating,
plumbing, water treatment, preventive maintenance, hotel rooms, A/H units, ice machines, pools, lighting,
kitchen equipment, emergency generators, water softeners, switch rooms, roof exhausts, electrical substations,
2. Ensure projects are completed according to specifications and on time by studying work schedules and
estimating worker-hour requirements for completion. Establish or adjust work procedures to meet production
3. Work closely with Housekeeper and Front Desk Manager to ensure coordination of activities. May confer with
other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments.
4. Aid and instruct craftsmen in scheduling work, ordering material and completing assignments by a specified
date. May estimate, requisition, and inspect materials.
5. Meet with architects to discuss blueprints, contact contractors to submit bids for new construction, and meets
with construction supervisors to discuss different phases of work.
6. Perform work within departmental expense plans.
7. Analyze and resolve work problems, or assist workers in solving problems. Initiate or suggest plans to motivate
workers. Recommend or initiate personnel actions, such as training, promotions, transfers, discharges, and
disciplinary measures. Reward employees who meet/exceed expectations. Confer with workers' representatives.
8. Interprets specifications, job orders, and company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
9. Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules, recommends measures to improve
10. May set up machines and equipment.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited
standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule
2. Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and
grammar. Speak with poise, voice control, and confidence, using correct grammar and well-modulated voice.
3. Ability to understand the technologies required in the work you are directing.
Education: Vocational Institution Certificate and completion of apprenticeship in plumbing/electrical repair.
Experience: 2 years supervisory experience in the maintenance field and 3 years experience in the plumbing,
electrical, and painting trades; OR, an equivalent combination of educ. & experience.
Licenses/Certifications: None required
X Interview, select and train associates
X Set and adjust associates' rates of pay and hours of work
X Direct the work of associates
X Appraise associates' productivity and efficiency for purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in
X Handle associate complaints
X Discipline associates
X Plan the work
X Determine the techniques to be used
X Apportion the work among associates
X Determine types of materials, supplies, machinery, equipment/tools used or merchandise to be bought, stocked
X Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
X Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
X Plan and control the budget
X Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
X Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-time
associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
X Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing ,
advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Physical Requirements and working conditions:
Ability to speak and hear in English. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing.
Frequently lifts/carries up to 25 lbs. Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of
bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills. Continually works in normal office conditions and in close proximity to others.
Additional physical, visual and working requirements:
X Outdoor weather conditions
X Stand for long periods of time
X Extreme cold (non-weather)
X Walk extended distances
X Extreme heat (non-weather)
X Lift/carry 6-25 lbs.
X Near moving or mechanical parts
X On high precarious places
X Reach hands and arms in any direction
X With fumes or airborne particles
X Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly
X Near toxic or caustic chemicals
X Near risk of electrical shock
X Near loud noises
X In areas of strong vibration
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the requirements of the job, management reserves the right to add or remove duties from particular jobs when business need dictates.